Monday, August 8, 2011

Review: Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Title: Falling Under
Author: Gwen Hayes
Genre: Paranormal Romance
ISBN: 9780451232687

Premise: Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams. As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear. And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul. 

I am so happy I decided to read this book! I was back and forth for a few days about it, afraid it was another vampire romance novel full of cliches and vomit-worthy professions of undying eternal love, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out otherwise! Haden was not in fact the dreamy vampire I thought he was going to be. He was in a word, completely un-Edward. He was mean to Theia, though he had the whole, "I really don't want to hurt you" thing going on, there was also a realistic inner struggle with him, because he wants her so bad. His character was a totally believable paranormal entity. Anytime he said something that betrayed the fact that he was not seventeen years old, Theia called him out on it. It was used as a plot-driving device, not an annoying additive. Each of the characters, even those who weren't that important were developed very well, and their interactions were completely realistic. My favorite character was definitely Haden, as the two versions of him, the one in real life, and the one of Theia's dreams, interacted so differently with Theia. I also really liked Theia, as she wasn't a pushover like say, Bella Swan. She reacted genueninely when Haden did things to upset her, and she would call him out on it instead of thinking she deserved it. When he was mean to her and flirted with other girls in front of her in waking, and then tell her how amazing she was in sleeping, she got angry, and demanded to know from both Hadens what was going on. The plot of the book was totally captivating also. I brought the book to work with me so I could read it on break because I couldn't go more than a few hours without needing to know what happened next. Every time the book threatened to go into the "I've read this before" zone, something crazy would happen that made it completely unique. Theia actually does things that shows her love for Haden instead of just talking about it, and when the crazy plot twist at the end occurs, it is swoon worthy. My only disappointment with this book was that it ended, and I was unsatisfied. This of course was before I realized there was a sequel, and that it wasn't actually the end yet. I cannot wait to read the next installment of this series. I would seriously recommend this book to anyone who loves paranormal romances, but is sick of all the books being the same. This one is unlike any other I have read. 





No comments:

Post a Comment