Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review: Unnatural by Michael Griffo

Title: Unnatural
Author: Michael Griffo
Genre: Paranormal Romance
ISBN: 978-0758253385

Premise: Michael has always felt out of place in his sleepy town of Weeping Water, so when an unexpected turn in his life allows him to leave the town to return to England, his birthplace, he is overjoyed. He is enrolled in Archangel Academy, a place where Michael finally feels at home with his life, and the fact that he is gay. He meets great friends, and a gorgeous boy named Ronan that stirs something deep within him. What Michael doesn't yet know is that Ronan, and others involved in Archangel Academy are actually vampires.

My initial reaction was, great, another crappy vampire romance tale. What made me think again? The homosexual aspect. I have encountered very few novels that incorporate this aspect, and I had to check it out, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Although there were occasions of cliche moments between Michael and Ronan, it was still sweet and stirred a tingling in my chest. The characters are very interesting, and have unique personalities. Griffo is not afraid to put his characters through hell when need be, unlike some other authors, cough Stephanie Meyer, cough, and this makes the world of the story so much more believable. The villain is sexy and you find yourself liking her when you know you shouldn't. The paranormal aspect adds a different spin on vampires that I'm not sure I'm fond of, but its definitely better than ones that sparkle. I would recommend this to anyone who likes paranormal romances, as it is much less corny than others on the market.




1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading this book for a project that is due next week. I was wondering who you thought the main characters were? I'm having a hard time deciding who the main characters are because I feel like they were all important to the story.

    ReplyDelete